Sunday, May 1, 2011

Of Body and Soul : Seeking from the Sermon

This Thursday, I was up all night doing VC with an online friend. While we were busy sharing our guilty pleasures (and in that we went quite far), I heard Fajr prayers and realized that I had office next day. I wrapped up the convo and crashed into my bed instantly. 

Next morning, instead of getting up for office, I found myself texting my boss that I’m taking an off. When I woke up at 12.30 in the noon, all I wanted was to rush to the mohallay ki masjid and attend the Friday sermon right from the start. To me, this urge is nothing but natural as we, the working class, happen to offer Friday prayers during office hours and by the time we reach the mosque, the waaiz utters his last few words of the Friday sermon.
So, this Friday, after taking a Ghusl and ignoring the breakfast, I rushed to my area mosque and was lucky to sit in the first row. I was fortunate enough that Waaz (sermon) started after I reached the mosque.

Though the topic of the sermon was about the ‘malice, cruelty and downfall faced by today’s Muslim Ummah and the solution’, during this sermon, moulvi sahib described a phenomenon that kept me thinking for days. So much so that I decided I should share this with you guys and ask for your opinion about it. Here is a gist of the whole concept:
"A human is made up of two things. Jism (The Body) and Rooh (The Soul). When God created the body, he created it with filthy mud and clay. That’s the core of our bodies. However, the Soul was created by Himself. That’s why it’s the purest thing a human has. Both Body and Soul are merged as one yet both act individually. Now it is up to humans to choose which one they nurture and focus more. The earthly that is deemed to be mortal or the immortal soul that takes something from God in its making."


Taking this concept a lil practically, I started thinking how we can create a balance between body and soul. I mean body has its own hunger and thirst. At times, Lust overcomes all other needs of the body and we give in to the bodily desires. Our soul on the other hand tells us that it’s immoral. For those who still find their inner clock ticking, they can feel the hammering inside. It’s the soul that tells it’s not feeling well like its hurt or sad.


Here comes the dilemma…
Is it possible for us to fulfill the lustful desires of our body and yet keep our soul unhurt, unbroken and healthy? Can we have sex when our body wants and yet nurture our soul and keep it pure & sterile?
I strongly believe that those who find true love in this life would not find themselves perturbed and perplexed by this dilemma as their body and soul find themselves in harmony with each other and the act of one is so in consent with the wish of another

I would like to hear from my friends & readers as to what they think of this body-soul dilemma.

9 comments:

  1. ahaan,,, impressive,, it is no doubt an important and long discussion,, but anyways i like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking in regard of gay sex, it varies from person to person!

    There are those who abstain from any form of physical intimacy with another man - they're absolutely fine with kissing and cuddling!

    There is another kind who is fine with doing anal, oral and whatever it is that they like BUT with a particular guy!

    Lastly there are those who just need a place and all that they want is that physical rush!

    Perhaps with that one person these barriers fall and we know that it's just one guy we're doing it with...but even then if we argue, gay sex is STILL gay sex and it's still forbidden!

    In the end, it's what one feels right...and he does just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Phunk: What about the body/soul conundrum?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't I already put it down in the last sentence?!

    Yes, we have desire for physical intimacy but given anybody who knows about our religion's perception towards physical intimacy knows it's not permitted!

    Keep it at minimum!

    Obviously we can't stop being ourselves but love doesn't necessarily has to come with a penetrative act!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Love doesn't necessarily has to come with a penetrative act!" ... I like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice blog..its good to see that you finally started writing.I like the layout and all as well
    keep up the good work and make the content more mainstream

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey anonymous, thnx for the appreciation :)

    By the way... what exactly does 'make the content more mainstream' mean?

    ReplyDelete
  8. make it more family oriented ..more general life,emotions and feelings all sorts of people can relate to..while maintaining your uniqueness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just skimmed through what you wrote... and I have two things to say. Firstly, you know what I've always wondered. When Qayamat comes, who is going to suffer the punishment, the soul? Which is in theory a part of God and thus pure. Or the body?
    Second... check out this poem called A Dialogue Between Body and Soul by Andrew Marvell. Its really nice, talks of the battle you speak off :)

    ReplyDelete